Call me exaggerated but Tim Ho Wan has the best dim sum I’ve ever tried. It’s worthy of the Michelin star. It’s a long wait. The restaurant (like a hole in the wall) is opened at 10am, but if you want to get a place to sit, be there by 915am – to queue. I was there at 920am and I was the last one to get a table when the door opened. If you missed the first batch of entry, you will have to wait until 1030am or so. And btw, it was a Thursday when I went.
While you are waiting, they will give you a menu chit where you just select the items you want to order. When you’ve gotten a table, quickly hand over the chit to them, or it could take a while longer to get your food.
Anyway, to get to Tim Ho Wan is very simple. Here it is:
- Take Exit A2 at Yau Ma Tei MTR station.
- When you exit the station at street level, turn backwards to Pitt Street, which is like a few steps away. Turn right on Nathan Road. Landmark:, you will see KFC/7-11 at this turn.
- Walk until you see Bee Cheng Hiang on your right, then turn right into Dundas Street.
- Walk down this road until almost the end of the road. You will come to a fork. Take left fork onto Kwong Fa Street. Tim Ho Wan is just a few doors away on your right. Opposite it is a carpark entrance.
Suggest items to order:
- Pig liver cheung fan
- Char siew pau
- Beef meatballs
- Lor bak kou
- Teochew fun guo
- Ham siu gok (deep fried glutinous rice dumpling)
Tim Ho Wan
G/F, Phase 2, Tsui Yuen Mansion,
2-20 Kwong Wa Street,
Opening hours: 10 am to 11pm.